The Rev. John B. Moose, Ph.D., D. D. became the first regular pastor in August 1917 preparing the foundation for the later pastors. Dr. Moose secured use of the Thomasville Masonic Hall where regular services were held each Sunday morning. The Sunday School program was organized in October, 1917, with three classes.
Grace’s first church building opened July 2, 1922 under the guidance of The Rev. N. D. Bodie.
Grace continued to grow under Pastor G. O. Ritchie. Under his leadership , the church building was dedicated (1927), a parsonage was built (1930), and the congregation became self-supporting (1937) with 198 confirmed members.
Over the next 30 years, Grace made a concerted mission outreach effort to reach the community with two Sunday morning services, Week Day Church Schools, a Church Library, auxiliaries for all age groups, and Scout Troops for boys and girls. During this time, the church parsonage was renovated for a Parish House and a new parsonage was purchased.
With a need for expansion, Grace decided to relocate the church to its current location of 115 Unity Street. The congregation purchased the Unity Street property in 1961 and entered the new church building on Sunday, June 19, 1966.
Outreach with Roman Catholic Christians began in the 1970’s with joint Vacation Bible Schools and quarterly worship services.
With a growing population in the Triad area (Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and High Point) a new mission statement was adopted in 1987 to seek more effective ways to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ to more people in a changing society.
During the late 80’s and continuing throughout the 90’s, Grace introduced ministries specific to helping families with young children and people struggling through loneliness, divorce, and financial adversity. To direct this work, Grace called Muriel Johannessen as its Associate in Ministry in 1994.
Grace then sponsored an After School Day Care for young children as well as a Divorce Recovery group.
In 1998 Grace joined with other local churches to build its first Habitat for Humanity house.
The year 2000 saw the beginning of a Parish Nurse Program with Susan Hauser being called to this ministry. In 2002 Tracy Brinkley became Grace’s second Parish Nurse.
2011 marked the 100th Anniversary of Grace’s ministry in Thomasville.
While the anniversary certainly marks the passage of time, it also celebrates a life of faith. By God’s blessings, Grace is proud of how the Gospel has been proclaimed in both word and deed.
As we look to the future, it is both Word and Sacrament that need to continually shape our life. We celebrate our past with much gratitude and praise; and in confidence welcome the future as the Holy Spirit guides us in wisdom and peace.